Time to wrap up the 2015 You Gotta Bereave Dead Pool and put the pool on hiatus for a while.
This year’s winner is team Rick A. Mortis, led by Rox/Ed who had a whopping 288 points with 5 overall picks. Congrats!
You Gotta Bereave started in 2005 as a simple office spreadsheet. Johnny Carson was the first death that gave someone points, and when we realized we didn’t feel all that bad, we continued. Anna Nicole Smith was next and we knew then we were onto something.
Here are a few fun facts about the past 10 years of the pool:
- Muhammad Ali has been on at least one list every year.
- Ozzy Osborn, Steven Hawking and Hugh Hefner are also big survivors and Abe Vigoda nearly made it.
- One member picked the Queen Mother every year for 3 years before realizing she had died 5 years before.
- When asked why he picked Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young one member said, “Well, one of them has to go!”
- Whenever a celebrity dies, everyone playing is somehow convinced for about a minute that they have him.
- Also, whenever a celebrity dies, the friend who told you this is a sick game is always the first to ask “did you have him!?”
It’s been a great run, maybe we’ll pick it back up again sometime. In the meantime, Satan says get back to something productive like gluttony, sloth, greed, envy… etc.
Thanks for playing everyone!
Insincerely, Commissioners Satan and Missy